In this week’s Resonance energy market podcast Jeremy Nicholson talks to Alfa’s Dr Petra Puskarova about the challenges of gas flows into European energy markets, while carbon pricing awaits decision on market reform.
NOTE: Since recording the podcast on 15.06.22 and prior to publishing today (16.06.22), the CAL-23 TTF contract posted a new historical high. Front year European power contracts increased but didn’t breach the April peak.
Topics explored include:
- Gas export issues from the US and Nordstream
- Gas in storage expected to reach 80% across Europe in Q3, despite challenges
- LNG cargoes offshore await a potential price war, with Europe more than ever exposed to spot market pricing
- Oil has become more volatile in recent weeks, responding to mixed signals
- Carbon is rangebound, waiting and watching the European Parliament’s decision on ETS reform
- While no French nuclear fleet outages occurred following the first heatwave this summer, low river levels are a seasonal concern
- Wind generation across Europe is low, while solar remains high
- We look to the winter ahead and what might happen to prices