In this week’s Resonance energy market podcast, Jeremy Nicholson talks to Alfa’s Dr Petra Puskarova about the continued challenges of gas flows into European energy markets and where there is value to be secured.
Topics explored include:
- Nord Stream gas flow resumes but at significantly reduced rates
- Year-ahead gas prices reach new highs
- UK considering an increase in export capacity to Europe
- LNG imports to UK reduce as exporters take advantage of higher pricing in Europe
- Power spot price in Germany hits 500 euro/MWh: although high, might provide some value if gas imports remain tight or other issues arise going into winter.
- Wind output remains under seasonal norms. Small uptick for Germany; nothing that will help prices significantly.
- 15% reduction in gas usage agreed by most EU countries. This will lead to more coal being burned, therefore higher power costs and carbon emissions.
- Some manufacturing companies already curtailing production due to high gas and power prices.