In this week’s Resonance energy market podcast episode, Jeremy Nicholson talks to Alfa’s Henry Homer about why Europe is not out of the woods on energy price concerns.
Topics explored include:
- Complacency reigns following the price plunge, as gas price spike highlights market risks.
- Focus on structural dangers to manage price risk.
- Storage in Europe is not up to the challenge of a cold winter.
- The recent spike caused by minor issues only – extended maintenance in Norway and demand from Asia.
- Renewables are supporting the market, but intermittent production due to weather creates a volatile market.
- Policy and contract length to provide adequate baseload is weak across Europe – a shift is needed to manage price volatility during the transition to a low carbon economy.
- Watch out for nuclear production, hydro and LNG demand in East Asia as we head towards Q3 2023.
- While German industry is concerned about a cut in remaining Russian gas supplies.
For details of the discussion, listen to the latest episode of the Resonance podcast below.
This episode of the Resonance was recorded on 20th June 2023.